National Online Journalist
Breaking News Global News (June 2017 – Present)
- Manage, update and monitor Global News website and all social media platforms;
- Update top stories website with timely and relevant content;
- Track breaking news and communicate with team to delegate coverage plans;
- Assess importance of news and viral stories, then create search and social friendly story pages;
- Create videos, GIFs, slideshows, collages, etc., to share article with maximum social media resonance; and
- Monitor reader engagement via statistical analysis in order to make more informed coverage decision.
Global News Winnipeg (November 2015 – May 20167)
- Wrote up to ten web articles a day;
- Appeared regularly on Global News shows and radio stations as an on-air web expert;
- Pitched daily story ideas, create headlines and source wire copy;
- Provided digital support, leadership, motivation and training for all newsroom personnel;
- Maintained strong social media presence for breaking and in-depth news on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram; and
- Uploaded ENG visuals, stories and segments to the website.
Global News Winnipeg (November 2014 – October 2015)
- Wrote and produced local and national news for Global Winnipeg Morning News;
- Managed logistics for reporter packages and live hits, such as securing a location, coordinating with camera operators and writing scripts.
- Wrote headlines, teases and intros;
- Booked guest segments; and
- Identified new stories by sourcing blogs, social media sites and local news.
Project Manager, Lead Writer
Tactica Interactive (July 2013 – October 2014)
- Managed the development, production and post-production of over 50 digital projects;
- Led a team of designers, animators and developers;
- Provided copywriting for interactive projects;
- Managed day-to-day operational aspects of a project budget and scope;
- Coordinated and scheduled meetings, and assigned tasks to team members; and
- Wrote content for Tactica’s blog and social media outlets.
Mindset Social Innovation Foundation (May 2011 – May 2013)
- Jointly organized an international campaign and multimedia project on access to medicine as a human right;
- Managed a team of interns and coordinated weekly meetings;
- Conducted research and pre-interviews;
- Transcribed, organized and digitized footage; and
- Managed distribution of the project by writing scripts, treatments and grant proposals.
Honours and Awards
- Selected to attend the Economics and Journalism conference put on by the Fraser Institute;
- Selected for the Canadian Media Production Association’s Mentorship program 2013-2014; and
- Nominated for a 2010 John H. McDonald Journalism Award for best news story and excellence in reporting and writing.
University of British Columbia
Master of Journalism (M.J.) (2012)
University of Winnipeg
Four-Year Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science (2007)